- Mexico, USA Opposition to Secret Toxic Landfill
- The Secret Toxic Dump on the Border
- Proposed Mexican landfill raises concerns on both sides of border
- More protests likely over plan for toxic-waste dump in Sonora
- Rocky Point protests over proposed toxic waste dump could continue
The EPA’s take is found here: http://www.epa.gov/usmexicoborder/ pdf/cegir_assessment_11-2-06.pdf
- Locals Fear Toxic Dump Still Possible (with completely unlinkable Windows Media video.)
- Protest blocks border crossing, from the Tucson Citizen
- Rally stalls Rocky Point travelers from AZCentral.com
- Rocky Point protest may delay tourists from AZCentral.com
The blockade began about 11:15 a.m. Sunday, and by 3 p.m., a Mexican customs official said there were about 100 cars backed up at the Sonoyta border crossing. The official said the protesters were not violent but were spread across the road, making it impossible for cars to pass.
Roger Maier, spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said it all ended around 7 p.m. as protesters made way for cars to pass through, while continuing to promote their cause.
Also, and this is completely unrelated, but this gave me a laugh. Floating 7-11 == genius.