For Reservations Call: 1-800-997-9431

Desde México: 01-800-681-6534


Passport requirements when traveling to Rocky Point

The busy travel season to Rocky Point is quickly approaching and many people are staring to make their Rocky Point Reservations for Spring 2007.  We have been receiving questions from would be travelers, as they want to know if there is a requirement now to have a US passport to return from Mexico.  The answer to that question depends on your method of travel.  If you are traveling by land you do not need a passport to return to USA this upcoming year.  However, if you are traveling by air you will be required to have a passport to return to the USA from Mexico beginning January 23, 2007.  Please see below for the exact verbiage from the US Department of State website.  You will see on the second bullet point that beginning January 1, 2008 a passport may be required if traveling by land or sea.


Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

  • Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.
  • As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.”

Reservations at the Point recommends that all people traveling to Rocky Point have a valid form of picture identification right now for your return to the US.  These can include a state issued identification card or drivers license.  For 2008 travels, we advise that you have a valid US passport by January 1, 2008.  Here is a link to learn how to get a passport,

We hope that you have a great New Year and enjoy your time in Rocky Point.  If we receive any future updates to the policies we will post them in our news section.