Home -> Rocky Point News
Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco): News
News in Rocky Point Mexico (Puerto Penasco)
Local news in Penasco is primarily supplied via newspapers and radio. As for the daily ‘news’ beat – there is little to be had. Penasco is still enough of a sleepy fishing town that very little ‘major’ pressing news trickles out.
Due to the close proximity, Tucson’s two daily newspapers – The Arizona Daily Star and the Tucson Citizen, both carry the occasional Penasco byline. The Arizona Daily Star also has issues shipped down to Penasco on a daily basis.
In the last few years, numerous websites have arisen ( it seems like there are new ones every day 🙂 ) catering to specialty markets such as real estate prospectors and/or tourists. These are often updated sporadically or so geared towards a specific audience that using them for daily ‘news’ is difficult as best.
NEWS links of interest:
- De Frente.puerto-penasco.com – An online collaboration between De Frente newspaper and Puerto-Penasco.com to bring English-language versions of De Frente – a Spanish-language weekly based in Puerto Penasco – to the web. Check it out!
- borderreporter.com – Award winning reporter Michael Marizco’s BorderReporter.com specializes in intelligence and analysis from the border, uncovering government malfeasance and feature stories from the region not covered by other media. An expert on border issues, Marizco has won several regional and state awards for his work along the Arizona-Mexico border, and his stories are regularly cited by national news media, from CNN to the Dallas Morning News, El Universal and Proceso magazine.
- Rocky Point Times – Online counterpart to the printed ‘Rocky Point Times’ based in Lukeville. Contains good classifieds, site contains less content then the newspaper itself, and is updated on a slower schedule. As of mid-2006, the site itself still looks very broken. They do, however, mail out paper editions.
- Penasco.com – Puerto Penasco’s business and real estate webpaper – while targeted towards real estate prospectors and homebuyers, penasco.com carries a number of well written, concise stories on the daily life in and around Penasco that make for great reading.
- Ajo Copper News – weekly newspaper serving the communities of Ajo, Why, and Lukeville. (Digital scans of their paper available through a third party service)
By: Maria Isabel Hernandez