There are several Face Book groups on Puerto Peñasco and the same questions keep being asked, so here are some questions asked the most often.
- What time does the border close? Currently the border opens at 6: a.m. and closes promptly at 8:00 p.m. It does not matter if you are inline, it will close. This applies to both entry to Mexico and entry to the United States via the Lukeville / Sonoyta crossing.
- How much alcohol am I allowed to bring into Mexico? You are allowed to bring in 3 liters. of alcohol or 6 liters of wines, which equates to 8 750 mil bottles per person. You are allowed 1 liter per month going into the USA.
- Can I bring in meat? All meat from hoofed animals such as beef, lamb or pork are allowed if they are in their original package and are frozen. This is not guaranteed as it is at the whim of the crossing guard. Technically no dairy products and produce are allowed. The same rule applies to returning to the United States and they are strict on the enforcement of these rules. You are allowed to bring back 50 pounds of shrimp and fish to the USA with no issues. There really is no need to bring anything with you as we have 2 great meat markets that will cut your steaks fresh to your liking or grind hamburger fresh the way you want it. Things such as butter, cream, milk and cheeses can be gotten at CS Foods or Sam’s Club. At CS they carry a variety of things that can not be gotten at other stores like frozen pies, frozen salmon, Jif or Skippy peanut butter, frozen rye bread as well as other breads, fresh sourdough bread, 3 kinds of frozen bagels and so many more items.
- What do I need to bring to bring my dogs or cats down. You are allowed to bring 2 dogs and cats per car and have your vaccine records handy. Mexico is mainly looking for current rabies records. Be aware that most condo rentals do not allow pets. If you need to board your pet, Rocky Pet Hotel and Spa is excellent with clean modern kennels of all size. Bring only enough food for your stay and again chicken, turkey or fish only. If you are staying for an extended time frame you are allowed to bring up to 1 – 50 Lb. bag. If you need a vet Dr. Adrian Sixto is excellent and is located on Blvd. Freemont or you can also use Serviceos Medicos on Sonora Blvd where Dr. Felix is located and he is very knowledgeable.
- Should I bring pesos from the USA or US dollars? You will get a better exchange at the Cambio (money exchange houses) here to buy pesos. Most larger business take credit or debit cards as do the gas stations. If bringing US dollars, bring the cash in different denominations not all $100 bills. Smaller businesses may not be able to cash a $100 bill.
- Should I be aware of anything when crossing the border into Mexico? You will stop prior to entering where you will get a red or green light. If you get the green light you should be able to proceed straight ahead, however, there are times they will still stop you. If you get the red light you will be asked to stop and they may want to check your vehicle and/or asked to step out of the vehicle. If that happens, make sure you take your cell phone and for the ladies their purse. There currently are military at the border doing the checking. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GO OVER 25 kilometers per hour. If you get stopped for speeding do not pay the officer but ask to go to the Police department. DO NOT BRING GUNS, LIVE ROUNDS OR SHELL CASINGS as they are illegal and you will spend some time in jail. When you stop of a stop sign, do a full 5 second stop not a rolling stop. This 5 second stop applies to driving in Rocky Point as well. These are some of the most asked questions, but if you have anything else, please contact me at the information listed below.
- Come out and join the fun while enjoying the beautiful weather in Puerto Peñasco and the stunning Sea of Cortez views. Remember Rocky Point is only a 4 hour drive from Phoenix or Tucson. Don’t forget to share us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Feel free to contact me via email or phone at 623-298-4284. If you any questions Contact Us at Blog@Puerto-Penasco.com or email@example.com.