It seems we get asked the same questions several times a week about travel to Mexico and bringing pet, etc. So here you will find what you need to know.
- To travel into Mexico if you are staying over you 7 days, each person is suppose to stop and get a temporary visa. Almost no one does it as they really aren’t checking. f you are bringing in pets, you need to have a current vaccination card for them as they are mainly concerned about the rabies shot. Not being able to provide one may send back to the USA. A certificate of health is only good for 7 days so if you are planning on multiple trips, it would get very costly. Having proof of the shoots will be fine.
- No you don’t need a passport to get into Mexico, but it is the law that you have one to renter the USA. Here again the border people are currently letting you cross with a birth certificate and a form of government ID. The problem is, if there are several people in the vehicle and everyone has to hand over those documents, you are holding up people behind you that have their passports and generally holding up the line The border people will give you a stern talking to and may send yo to the secondary checkpoint. Getting a passport card is very inexpensive and will work for ground travel into Mexico, if asked, but not flying out of the USA. Currently it is an 18 week delay to get new passports and almost as long for a renewal. So if you are planning on doing several trips a year, get the passport or passport card.
- Once you in Mexico, you will get either a red or green light. If you get the red light customs may ask you to step out of the vehicle to look through it. There are times when you get the green light and they still ask you to look in your car. Make sure the ladies take their handbags with them. After they are done, you will pull forward to a military checkpoint, they may or may not ask you to pull over, again do not leave money or purses in the vehicle.
- When driving through Sonoyta, DO NOT SPEED. Most of the way through the town is 40 KLM or just under 25 MPH and in a couple of areas it will drop down to 25 KLM. Be alert for stop signs as many are placed in the center of the road and not on the right hand side that tourists are use to. Either of these infractions will probably get you a ticket. DO NOT pay the officer but ask to go to the Police station to pay, this is the only way corruption will stop. If you feel you have done nothing wrong you can ask to speak to the Chief of Police to plead your case, as he is trying to clean up the corruption.
- If you are hauling toys or have a toy hauler, make sure you have the registrations for all toys in your name if they are yours and also for the vehicle and trailer hauling them.
- Once you are through Sonoyta it is an easy drive to Puerto Peñasco of approximately 60 minutes on a nice 2 lane road. Remember the speed is 90 KLM not MPH. There are a few areas that mind the signs and do not pass. You now are on your way to have a fun vacation in one of cleanest, prettiest beach cities in all of Mexico… Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, Mexico. So enjoy your time.
- Come out and join the fun while enjoying the beautiful weather in Puerto Peñasco and the stunning Sea of Cortez views. Remember Rocky Point is only a 4 hour drive from Phoenix or Tucson.
If you any questions Contact Us at Blog@Puerto-Penasco.com or email@example.com.