For Reservations Call: 1-800-997-9431

Desde México: 01-800-681-6534

Follow Us

What do I need to get back into the United States from Mexico?

What do I need to get back into the United States from Mexico?

Passport Book and Card
Some people prefer to have both.

Do I need a US Passport or US Passport Card when coming back from Puerto Peñasco?  This questions comes up on FaceBook almost every day.  YES you need a US Passport or US Passport Card.  It is the LAW and even though they are not currently enforcing it, the day will come very soon when they will.  Many people are crossing multiple times with only their birth certificate or some trying with their drivers license.  When you do this, you risk lengthy delays at perhaps a secondary search or a scolding from the agent.  With that being said, you also hold up the line of people behind who have their documents in order  while you and everyone in your vehicle tries to find their paperwork.

It is a very simple process.  1)If you are an adult, fill out the form DS11, 2) Get supporting documents (citizen evidence such as birth certificate), 3) Provide photo 4) calculate fees and submit. The cost for the PASSPORT is $110 for the Application and $35 for Acceptance Fee. The cost for the card is $30.00 for the Application and $35 for the Acceptance Fee.  If you want both the book and the card the fee is $140 for the Application and $35. for the Acceptance fee.  Bare in mind these are non-refundable fees if for some reason you are denied.  The adult passport is good for 10 years.

Simple Application for getting your Passport

If  you have children under 16 they also need a Passport or Passport Card.  The charges are as follows: $80.00 for the Application and $35 .00 for Acceptance Fee, Passport Card Application is $15.00 for the Passport Card and $35.00 for the Acceptance Fee or if you want both it will be $95.00 for the Application and again the $35.00 for the Acceptance Fee.  The children must appear in person and their Passports or Passport Cards are only valid for 5 years.  For the children you will also use form #DS11. 1) Fill out form, 2) Provide US Citizen evidence, 3) take a copy of the US Citizen evidence 4) Show parental relationship,  5) Present parental/guardian evidence, 6) Bring photocopy of ID, 7) Show parental consent in case of divorce bring a copy of the decree, 8) Provide photo, 9) Present fees and finish the application.

Passport Card
Front and Back of the US Passport Card

If you are bringing your children  or perhaps friends of your children, make sure  everything in order.  Also, it is recommended that you have a notarized letter from their parents or perhaps if an ex spouse is involved, a notarized letter from them stating you have permission to have the children in Mexico.  This will be helpful, should medical attention be needed.

Something I just found interesting as some people have been asked for their US Passport or Passport card when entering into Mexico by  vehicle and wondering why.  This is from the US Government Passport website….The Mexican government may not let U.S. citizens who are driving or walking to Mexico enter the country at land border crossings if they do not have a U.S. passport book or U.S. passport card.  So this would be in my estimation the reason to have one or the other.

So get your US Passport or US Passport Card, so all you have to do when you get to Rocky Point is sit back and relax ad enjoy everything our city has to offer.  Go shopping, sit on the beach, golfing or fishing, sunset cruises.  Check out some of our restaurants who offer wines from the Valle de Guadalupe Baja Norte or some great craft beers from here as well as Tijuana, Ensenada, Mexicali or San Luis Rio Colorado.  The wine and beer can be put up with any wines or craft beers from the USA. Many new restaurants and bars are cropping up monthly.

Sunset in Rocky Point

Come out and join the fun while enjoying the beautiful weather in Puerto Peñasco and the stunning  Sea of Cortez views.  Remember Rocky Point is only a 4 hour drive from Phoenix or Tucson.
Don’t forget to share us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Feel free to contact me via email.
If you any questions Contact Us at