[ FAQ ] [ Search ]

puerto-penasco.com Forum Index > General Q + A

Topic: getting pulled over

Author    Bericht Post new topic Reply to topic

I am starting to frequent RP and I have yet to be pulled over. I am sure it will happen some day and I was wondering what happens? Do they issue a ticket? Do they still accept bribes? What is a normal amount to pay? Do they take you to jail?
Obviously this will depend on the extreme of the reason for the traffic stop but lets just say it is for speeding or running one of those hidden ALTO signs...
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:21 am 

Repeat after me: "Puedo pagarlo aqui?" -- "Can I pay here?"

There is an unspoken protocol to a large amount of dealing with la policia ... be nice, be apologetic, but play the game - "Oh, I've only got $30 on me ... can I pay here? Can I just pay now?"

In other words, don't come right out and say it, but ...
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:40 pm 
AZsoul

Thanks for the info... This is pretty much what I thought but I had heard a bunch of rumors that they can no longer except money on the spot. Is $30 the going rate?

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
Repeat after me: "Puedo pagarlo aqui?" -- "Can I pay here?"

There is an unspoken protocol to a large amount of dealing with la policia ... be nice, be apologetic, but play the game - "Oh, I've only got $30 on me ... can I pay here? Can I just pay now?"

In other words, don't come right out and say it, but ...
Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:11 am 

The going rate is ... whatever it takes, really ... at some point it'll become obvious.

::hypothetically::

They'll pop you, and you will be shocked, SHOCKED to hear how fast you were going, and of course you'll get a lecture about impoundment etc. yadda yadda. And then you can bust out with "Can I just pay the fine here, since I'm on my way home.."

I think you'll find the going rate varies. Don't, for example, let 'em see whatever wad of cash you have in the wallet, or it'll inch upward.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:36 pm 

I have found just telling them you want to go the the policia station works great...because 9.9 out of 10 times they pull you over for no reason. If you call their bluff and tell them to take you to the station, they will let you go. It has worked 3 out of 3 times for me. The one time my brother offered to pay they ended up handcuffing him while they went through his car and stole 2 cell phones and about $300 in cash.. Be careful. I also carry the business card of our family lawyer out of Caborca..that is a good thing to have on you as well.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:51 pm 
iceman

I always found the following works
How much is the fine??
Would you do me the courtisy of paying it for me.
Thank you Senor.
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:20 pm 
R. Barnes

I was in business with a knowledgeable Mexican gentleman when I lived in Tampico, Tam. He told me anything in Mexico can be arrranged for money. Having grown up believing in "truth, justice, and the American way" that set kind of hard with me, but I learned to adapt.
If you do something REALLY bad (which I unfortunately have), it's best to start negotiating with the first officer or official. The higher up the line you go, the more it costs. As my friend and business associate said "Anything in Mexico can be arranged for money." That's just the way things are. Innocent or not, "can I pay here?" and "Is there a tax on this? Will you pay it for me?" are useful phrases.
Politeness is always mandatory unless you're looking for trouble. "Esta Mexico." Save your irateness for North of the border.
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:14 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >