[ FAQ ] [ Search ]

puerto-penasco.com Forum Index > General Q + A

Topic: Best way to drive- coming from San Diego/LA

Author    Bericht Post new topic Reply to topic
ruthers4

I need a little help, I will be heading to Puerto Penasco from Los Angeles on Tues. (March 14th.) First off, we are driving to San Diego on Monday, staying the night at a friends and then heading from there to Rocky Point.

Now, as far as I can tell with the maps, it seems that taking the 8 east from San Diego, to the 95 south, crossing the border at San Luis Rio Colorado ( or near there) Then taking the Mexican 2 across to the Mexican 8 south is the fastest and most effiecient way.

However, websites suggest staying on the 8 till the Arizona Town of Gila Band, then taking the 85 south. But, that looks like it takes you along 85 miles or more of unnesecary driving.

Is it really bad/dangerous to drive along that Mexican 2 freeway, is it slow, have bad conditions/etc? Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-nick
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:28 pm 
JayT

Nick, You may be able to save a little time by going to San Luis-Sonoyta-Puerto Penasco versus Gila Bend-Lukeville-Sonoyta-Puerto Penasco. I've driven it both ways The road from San Luis to Sonoyta is long and barren with no fuel/rest stops anywhere and there is a big military checkpoint on the road a few miles outside of San Luis where they check for drugs/guns/etc. That stretch of road has lots of commercial semi tractor/trailers and most of the road has no shoulder to pull over if necessary. The border is much bigger in San Luis than it is in Lukeville. If you go the San Luis route, I would recommend doing it during the day if it's your first time. It's really not that bad as long as you don't plan on stopping from San Luis to Sonoyta.
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:55 pm 
ruthers4

Thanks, sounds a little...perilous. A little time, we talking an hour? 2 hours? Really, how much time is worth breaking down on a mexican highway?
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:43 pm 
JayT

I said a "little" time because the time we "saved" by going the shorter route through San Luis was partly eaten by the delays at the military checkpoint (apprx 30 mins) and the longer lines at the San Luis border (apprx 30 mins). It's probably not as bad going down though. The drive is beautiful, with nice mountain scenery to the north of the Mexico 2 and the commercial drivers in Mexico are generally more courteous than in the US (IMO). Good luck - safe travels.
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:50 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >