[ FAQ ] [ Search ]

puerto-penasco.com Forum Index > Fisherman's corner

Topic: March fishing trip

Author    Bericht Post new topic Reply to topic
Dogs of war

I'm going down the last week of March and want to do some fishing. Not just the regular fishing (triggerfish)from a boat, but fishing for some big fish. Anybody have some suggestions on a good charter boat company that you may have used in the past and would recommend?
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:21 pm 
R. Barnes

I usually take my own boat, but I've hired pangas down at the boat launch. A quick look at the boats and equipment will tell you a lot. Don't pay any attention to the guys who will be yanking on your shirt-tails telling you about "special deals" and such. When you see a boat with good looking equipment, go right to the captain, and tell him just what you're interested in. If you're not too fluent in spanish, and their english is just as bad, get somebody to interpret for you. There's usually lots of english speaking "scavengers" around the launch area. Give them a little tip after they've helped you, before they ask you. If they ask you for more, tell them that was enough. If they persist, tell them to go fly a kite, or anything you want. The guys that really know what they're doing, have depth finders and GPS. Pangas are good boats, and you can do just as good from them as the cabin cruiser types. If the sun bothers you, and the boat doesn't have a bimini top, take an umbrella. Choose a boat and captain you feel comfortable with. Remember that haggling is a part of the culture, and most enterpreneurs Mexicano enjoy it and will respect you for your skill. Above all, use "por favor" (please) and "gracias" a lot. You'll get much further by being as polite as possible. That's part of the culture too.
Ther's a new boat rental place there now. You could rent a boat. They have fish finders, marine radio and GPS if you want. I recommend using them. If you don't know how to use the GPS, you can at least radio your coordinates if you need help. I used the Colla Bay Rescue once, and a fishing boat towed us in for a really reasonable price. You can hire a reliable guide in the same area. Maybe the boat rental can recommend someone. Most of the good fishing spots are on reefs, and they are designated by the miles out from port, ie. 17-mile, 51-mile, etc.
The guys that advertise charter sevices are usually OK especially if they've been in business for a while. Keep asking around, and I wish you the best of luck. Robert Very Happy
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:12 pm 
R. Barnes

I'm sorry. I was using a Colloquialism refering to a sonar device that portrays the contour and depth of the water and fish that are beneath the boat. they are also referred to as "depth finders". Thank you. I will go to the URLs you mentioned, and see if I can find any fish.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 6:37 pm 
R. Barnes

Wow BlogGreen! We are apparently cruising at different altitudes. (Are you messing with me?) I use the web to get weather predictions, and tides. You can get those from a newspaper. I look at all of the bulletin boards I can find that have any local information. I look for input from amateurs that don't have a financial stake in whether you come down or not. They're just passing on information to fellow fisherpersons. Fishemen are like poker players I'm told, so I don't take everything I read verbatim. Where I do my real research is much closer to sea level, than out in cyberspace.
When I speak of a fishing guide, I'm speaking of an actual person, be it an established guide service, or someone you meet down by the docks that says he knows where to go and can guide you to good fishing. A referral is usually a good Idea though. There are "scavengers" around who will misrepresent themselves
I've used regular well established guide services with good results, but I've also had acceptable results from going out in the pangas where you catch mostly edible size cabrilla and trigger fish, or hiring someone who knows the area. I hired a thirteen year-old kid off the beach at Kino one time, and he put me onto some great fishing. I do preliminary research on the internet, but to get the real nitty-gritty, I like to talk to the locals and use their knowledge. I enjoy the quest and the hunt as much as I do the actual catching.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 7:30 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >