[ FAQ ] [ Search ]

puerto-penasco.com Forum Index > Fisherman's corner

Topic: Fishing in July!!

Author    Bericht Post new topic Reply to topic
rich

Smile I need info. on fishing in late July. Tackle, rod reel combination, type of fishing available, who to contact for a guide or boat. I love to fish and would like to hook up with somebody to fish with. Thanks, Rich.
Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:21 pm 
Pat

Hi Rich!
Have you been to RP before? Will you be fishing with others, wife, girlfriend, etc.? Where will you be staying? Do you plan on bringing fish home, and if so, how far from RP do you live? Normaly I fish RP 6 to 10 times per year and we just got back from a trip there, so I dont' want to bore you with info you already know.
Pat
Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:47 am 
rich

quote:
Pat schreef:
Hi Rich!
Have you been to RP before? Will you be fishing with others, wife, girlfriend, etc.? Where will you be staying? Do you plan on bringing fish home, and if so, how far from RP do you live? Normaly I fish RP 6 to 10 times per year and we just got back from a trip there, so I dont' want to bore you with info you already know.
Pat

Pat,
Thanks for answering my message. I have been to RP twice before and I fished both times. My wife and I will be staying at Los Polamas resort. We are 11 hrs away and like to eat what we catch and bring some home. I am the fisherman but others say they want to fish. Won't know till I get there July 23rd. I have all my own gear. Fished in a panga last time and caught trigger and sea bass. Would like to expand and maybe get some red snapper. I have all gear for med. to heavy rods and reels all set up. Any info on who to go with, costs etc. would help. I plan on fishing at least three days.
Thanks Rich
Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:17 am 
Pat

Hi Rich,
Ok here we go!
1. The only time I have been able to catch Red Snapper or Large Groupers within 2 to 8 miles of shore is during the winter months, and we are working reefs. You can still catch these now, but you have to travel usually 10 to 50 miles out at this time. As you know, you can rent boats now in Rocky Point, but I do not know the cost as usually I take my own out. You might consider hiring "Martine" who runs both "Margarita 1 and Margarita 2", and let him know you want to go after grouper. I recommend you take along a large ice chest for fish, since they (the Panga Captains) just toss the fish aboard hence they will taste better if in an iced chest. I have also heard good reports from a Panga Captain named Fransciso, and I noticed there is a Fransico listed as a boat captain under the Puerto Penasco website. Depending on when you arrive, you can either make a reservation the day before you plan on fishing, or as you may know, hit he launching ramp by o630 and you can probably get a good trip at a reasonable price. Our trip ran 150 bucks for the 11 mile reef, and then we paid an extra 20 bucks for the filleting. We just caught triggers and sand bass and a few corvina.

When trolling (in our own boat) within 1 mile from shore we would pick up Sierra and an occasional Corvina. Further out, 8 to 10 miles we would get small Dorado. Of course bait fishing at about 5 miles from RP we would catch more Covina, Sand Bass and Triggers. So, I would consider heading out the first day with one of the Panga captains and be specific about catching Groupers, no Triggers or Cochita (there name for Triggers). find the reef they fish at, and then depending on the cost renting a boat for the remainder of the days and head out on your own for the reef you fished the prior day. The ocean had a tendancy to get rough in the afternoon and get calm(er) in the evening. As you know, you will have to make bait for the Groupers. Check out http://www.mexfish.com for more info on making bait.

So, at this time of the year, I settle for catching smaller fish, sierra, corvina, sand bass, small dorado, and triggers. Of course by heading further out, I know that I can hook up with groupers, large dorado, and perhaps sailfish. If you want to try shore fising, use large Kastmasters on on incoming tide and you can hook up with corvina. Hope this helps, any more questions?
Pat[/list]
Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:50 am 
rich

Very Happy Pat,
Thanks for the info. It is most helpful. Do you have any more info. on Martine? Phone or contact? I will take your advice and fish from a panga first and see how it goes. Can't wait to wet a line.
Rich
Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:07 pm 
Pat

Hey Rich!
I am in the middle of cooking RP fish at the moment... Will answer you this weekend. Where are you located?
Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:14 pm 
rich

Pat,
I will be in RP July, 23rd and stay until the 28th. We will be located at the Palomas resort. If you will be around then, maybe we could hook up and fish. Our condo will be under the name "Lund", but my name is Rich Anderson. Enjoy your dinner!!!!

Rich
Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:43 pm 
Pat

HI Rich!
Gosh the fish was great! I fried some sea bass which we had caught in Jan., but I froze them in a ziploc bag, surrounded in h20. They were fantastic.

Ok, I found the receipt for Martine (sounds like marteeen), but he spells it like Martin. Martin Tavarez V. is his full name, and he runs the Margarta fishing tours. BTW, his boat is very plane jane, and so is his equpiment, its not upscale at all, but he did a full length bimini top, and he does have a porty potti aboard. Anyway, his local number is 38 372-47, and best to reach him in the evenings since he is fishing during the day. A USA number is 01152 (638) 3-72-47. This number is what he has printed on the receipt. Of course you will probably call him before you leave and set up a res; let me know if his phone numbers work.
Unfortunately I will not be there this weekend, but I see they are catching some Dorado at 20 miles out. Hopefully I can make it back in a couple of weeks.

Do you know where the dirt ramp is in town, behind the Surf and Sun Dive Shop (which is now also a "Jewelry by Patti store)?
Pat
Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:00 am 
rich

Pat,
Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how everything works out.
Rich
Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:13 pm 
George

I am looking for a recommendation on who to use as a fishing boat service.
Any advice?
Post Wed May 21, 2008 8:47 am 
Scott

Can you do any fishing from shore or do I really need a boat ? I grew up in Florida...used to a spinning real and using shrimp...pretty much the same there ? Also looking for recommendations on a nice little quiet clean hotel room with A/C. I'd rather not stay in a big resort place. I spent a lot of time in central America and prefer the mom and pop local experiences. thanks in advance for your help ! edgenaples2002@yahoo.com
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:24 pm 
Daniel

Scott, If you are looking for VERY simple but economical, try Plaza Penasco. This is basically a place to sleep on a budget.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:28 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >